11 May 2009

Update: 8 Weeks...

Weight: 12-11.0. (Target 12-13.7). BMI: 25.6. Body Fat: 24.0%.
Forecast: 11-10.6 (extrapolate: 8.2 lbs loss over last 4wks to remaining 7wks).
Wk10 Training: Hours: 9:19 (Target 12:00). Bike: 239.3km @ 27.1kph.
Weight... Down 2.4 lbs.  'nother great week of loss.  The extrapolated forecast is a very improbable 11-10.6.  Which ain't gonna happen, but does give me hope that I might get close to 12st.  I am now a smidgen below my race weight for the 2007 Etape when I was at my previous peak of fitness & lightness.  'Result.  Two years ago despite the training I plateaued at this point.  This year I intend to continue to lose (sensible amounts) week on week.
Training... A reasonable week.  I'd like to have done a bot more than 9hrs but was pleased with the sessions that I did do.  However, I am concerned that I have been going through the motions a little bit of late.  Not enough intensity.  I reckon the next 8 weeks are best used as 6 weeks build, followed by then 2 weeks taper to peak for the Marmotte.
New bike... Treated myself to a new bike last weekend.  This is my third summer as a semi-serious cyclist and I am enjoying it as much as ever.  Felt the time was right to upgrade to a carbon bike.  After months of hypothetical deliberation and many contenders I had the Giant TCR Advanced was my latest must-have bike.  And that it what I have now got.  Here is a picture.  Gorgeous.  Rides nicely too.  Much stiffer than my Allez, really noticeable when accelerating.  But not got to grips with the braking (quite literally).  Had a moment descending a Surrey Hill when my rear brake locked the back wheel into a sharp corner.  Cue plenty of rear wheel sliding and a few jitters from me.  Think these Ultegra brakes are a tad more powerful than the Tiagra version and for the moment they either seem to be on (and locking up?) or off (and going too fast).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Richard - these are amazing weight loss figures. Can you give advice on how you are doing it? I'm also an ex-15 stone larger gent, desperate to get to sub 13 for the Marmotte but have hit a plateau so need inspiration. Can you help?

Richard Allen said...

PMOC, My 'secret' is two fold.
(i) For me, dieting fails to make me lose the LBS, training fails to make me lose the LBS, but dieting & training = good results.
(ii) Consistency. Must keep up the focus day-in-day-out. I have the same breakfast (porride & banana), the same lunch (light sandwich, fruit, yoghurt) 5 days a week. And a sensible supper. I know that if I follow this and get in my gym session I get a calorie deficit and lose weight. [I reckon (for me) 1500-2000 KCals is about right].

What weight are you at now? Aim to loase nothing in the last week (carbo load) so that gives you 7 weeks left. 2 LBs per week is very doable. So losing upto another 14 LBs is still possible. That'll make a real difference on the day.

Unknown said...

I'm 85kgs/13st6 or so. Consistency of effort and resolve when near the 'fridge door are the Holy Grail.