8 June 2009

Update: 4 weeks...

Weight: 12-5.2. (Target 12-5.8). BMI: 24.7. Body Fat: 21.5%.
Wk5 Training: Hours: 4:05 (Target 11:00). Bike: 48.4km.
 
Weight... I had gotten over the disappointment of last week's blip.  Trying to focus on keeping my momentum to ensure I don't plateau at 12 Stone 8/9/10.  However, I have had a few niggles this week - right hamstring, left inner thigh/groin - and need to ensure that isn't my body breaking itself down.  As such I'll not be pushing the diet side of the weightloss equation too hard over the last month (I want to make sure I have keep up my protein intake) but will zone in more on high intensity exercise to keep burning the KCals.  However, delighted that I have lost 3.8 lbs to get me to 12 Stone 5.2.  I think this shows that last weeks gain (+0.8 lbs) was a blip.  The loss for the last fortnight was 3.0 lbs and that is fairly reasonable.  Oh, and another thing, my BMI has dropped below 25.0.  I an no longer 'overweight'.  Woohoo.  (N.B I started this as medically obese with a BMI of 31). Last week I spiked above my target but have dipped below again this week.  I am very much still on track for 12-0 (76kg) - particularly as I have a couple of big weeks ahead (Dragon Ride & Iron Mountain Sportif).
 
Training... Shocker.  Firstly the intensity wasn't there.  I felt a little like I was going through the motions.  However, given that I had a big weekend planned I wasn't too concerned.  The diary was 4-5 hours from Monday-Saturday then the Highclere Castle Sportive on Sunday.  A mere 126miles/202km.  Given that Gold time for this is 7hrs it was all looking good.  Then the weather came.  I checked the forecast on Saturday night whilst prepping my kit.  The forecast was set for showers on both BBC & Metcheck.  Which can go either way.  However, at 6:30 this morning it only looked like it was going one way.  By then I had had my Oatso Simple, loaded the car and made it to Hammersmith to meet MM.  But it was torrential.  MM had cycled the the rendezvous and confirmed it was not cycling weather.  It was wet, dark, and didn't feel all that safe.  Reluctantly we agreed to abort the event.  This is very disappointing.  These three events (Highclere, Dragon & Iron Mountain) are a cornerstone of my training and to miss out on these hard, fast, long rides really feels like I am losing an opportunity to put in the hard yards that prepare me for the Marmotte - where I will have to be going pretty much full bore for some nine hours.  I have had a rest day instead.  But I would like to take some positives from this write-off of a weekend... So: (i) I'm a little rested.  (ii) I'm more motivated to push hard for the final three weeks of hard training.  And (iii) I have had extra family time (which will be in short supply over the next 4 weeks). That means that next weekend is going to have to be a big'un.  Come rain or shine I am going to have to ride (assuming it is safe).  The forecast is Ok so far, but I'll be packing wet weather gear just in case.

Schedule...
For the next few weeks the schedule is pretty much set.
Mon-Fri: Gym/Spin/Park Sessions.
Sat/Sun: Richmond Park / Sportives...
3: Dragon Ride (190k)
2: Iron Mountain (160k)
1: Taper >> Club Run (90k)
0: La Marmotte (174k)
 

5 comments:

ShirishK said...

Hi Rich,

Good work on the taking positives out of the weekend - that's what I've been trying to do too!

That's especially good news on the BMI front though isn't it? Definitely something to be celebrated. I think I agree with you about the next few weeks though, prob not worth stressing about eating too much now as it's not going to make a huge difference to my final weight, and is more likely to have negative effects.

I re-read some of your Etape blog last night and realised that you too had the ITB friction syndrome that I've just picked up...any hints on managing it, or just icing and ibuprofen?

Shirish

bs96v4 said...

Hi Rich,

I'm also doing the Marmotte and had the Highclere down as my big mileage day... I also decided against it on the day because of the weather and sore knee.

I am also dissapointed with myself for missing it - but it sounds like we saved a fortune in tubes/puncture repairs!

My weight loss hasn't been great - I've bottomed out at 88.0kg but finish work this week due to redundancy so will be out on the bike more each day! I've dropped from 92.0kg so not inspirational but much fitter!

Good luck on the Dragon!

Richard Allen said...

Shirish,
Re: ITB friction syndrome...

1/ Stretching, stretching and more stretching. Particularly, quads, hamstring, and outside of hip.

2/ Ibroprofen gel. better for localised pain.

3/ Check your cycling position. I believe mine was probably brought about by raising my saddle height. If you have changed you bike set up then this could be the cause.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Richard Allen said...

bs96v4,

Dropping 4kg is a good start - Every little helps. Getting the miles in over the last few weeks will also have a real boost on your form - Should be able to peak for the Marmotte nicely.

Best of luck.

Rich

big_phil said...

Richy - I did Marmotte in 2007 and will do it againe next year. Riding some long sportives in the UK is best preparation - I used the etape du dales, WRC, grand fondo cymru, dragon etc...Other thing I did was a bit of racing to sharpen speed but spinning should help. Key advice- as you probably know is to pace yourself really well and to drink lots....I will be at the dragon - one of the 3000 -