1 June 2009

Update: 5 weeks

Weight: 12-9.0. (Target 12-7.8). BMI: 25.3. Body Fat: 23.5%.
Wk6 Training: Hours: 11:29 (Target 10:00). Bike: 255.4km @ 26.4 kph.

Weight... Oh dear. Up 0.8 lbs. After 21 weeks of consecutive weight loss the run has come to an end. I would like to put the hike down to high glycogen or hydration levels - but it is more likely to be going out for dinner on Saturday evening. They do a pretty fine burger at frankies. Was pretty disappointed this morning. With so little time left it feels like it is so much more significant. I could have been 12st6 but end up 12st9. A 3 lb swing. Mellowed a little now. I reckon that 12stone is now a little ambitious. 12st 3lbs is more likely - requires me to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Reckon that it has to be doable given my high workload over the next 3 weeks (10+hrs). Something to aim for.

Training... Mixed week. Spin session, park rides, gym and a Friday game of footie. Yes, an hour of 7-a-side football. Last played about 4 years ago. Won't be playing again soon. Felt battered all weekend. Bruised from collisions and muscles sore from who-knows-what. Lesson learned. No more football until after the Marmotte. Don't want the injury risk. Made the most of the good weather on Sunday out the long club run.

Schedule... For the next few weeks the schedule is pretty set.
Mon-Fri: Gym/Spin/Park Sessions.
Sat: Richmond Park x3
Sun: Sportives
4: Highclere (200k)
3: Dragon Ride (190k)
2: Iron Mountain (160k)
1: Taper. Club Run (90k)
0: La Marmotte

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't go too hard (if possible) in those sportives building up to La Marmotte. You need to be fresh for the big one.

Maybe target one of them to really push yourself and take it easier in the others.

Then when the big day comes, both mind and body will be in good shape.

Richard Allen said...

Really?

I was going to hit these 3 sportives pretty hard. Targeting gold standard times - which will be quite a stretch at Highclere (29kph). I am still in a build phase. I then hope to use the two weeks from Sun 21st to Sat 4th as my recovery/taper/rest/refresh time.

In 2007 I had three weeks, but felt that I went 'off the boil'.

Thoughts/advice welcome...

Rich

Anonymous said...

Richard

I did the Ventoux sportive on Saturday, so now I have 5 weeks. I have a sportive this sun, then another one the sunday before the Marmotte. I'll continue riding 5-6 hrs all the other weekends too.

To be honest I'm not planning a taper. I definitely think you can go 'off the boil' with too much down-time. That said, naturally the final week before will be an easy one.

How's your core strength? I'm doing a block of core work over the next month plus lots of stretching, from my experience on the Ventoux this will be the single most painful thing.

Good luck

Alastair

Drinky said...

Are you you checking your replies on Twitter from people who you may not be following?

ShirishK said...

Hi,

If it helps at all, I bottled the Highclere Sportive too, thinking the weather would be abysmal. How annoying was it that it turned out nice in the end?!

I'd been wanting to say 'hello' for a little while anyway. I'm doing the Etape this year, and was really inspired by your Etape blog...so much so that I've kinda 'borrowed' a few ideas for one I'm doing myself this year...hope you don't mind ;).

I'm definitely doing the Dragon Ride next weekend though, however long it takes me...so maybe see you there, or perhaps around Richmond Park?

Shirish

Richard Allen said...

Drinky,
I wasn't following my @replies. I hadn't changed my habbits since they "tweaked" the twitter functionality. Particularly annoying given that I use twitterberry and there is no way of doing this.

Richard Allen said...

Shirish,
Glad I wasn't the only bottler! Although I now wish I had done it. Really needed that ride under my belt.

Good luck with the Etape. It is a great event, real atmosphere and Mont Ventoux is going to be awesome.

Your blog looks great. Sounds like the training & sportives are going Ok. Dragon ride will be a really good marker to how you are going.

Best of luck at the Dragon next weekend and up Ventoux in a month!

Rich