12 July 2009

1: La Marmotte. Here goes...

It’s 6:40am and I have already descended from Alpe d’Huez. This has given me 21 bends to practice my braking – after 4 or 5 incidents since getting the new bike I have lost my confidence of going downhill at any real speed – more powerful brakes = rear wheel lock up = rear wheel slide = heart in mouth (and in the case of Iron mountain; rider & bike in hedge).

In the backstreets of Bourg d’Oisans row after row cyclists are filling the start pens. I am in the middle of the second pen (401-2000). A few minutes after seven the 1,000 riders in front of me start clicking into their pedals and slowly moving forward, the speed builds up a little as the riders thin out, and a minute later the start line is upon us and we’re are off.

Just 174km between me and the finish then.  There is of course the matter of the four mountains in my way...

A year ago I crossed the start line, but fell short of completing the task. This year I intend to get to the finish on my bike. Six months of training should mean I am ready.  Let’s get this done...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rich,
good ride.....pity you missed it by 5 mins.

This was my 4th attempt - after failing to finish the previous 3 (first was due to the 2 hour wait on the Glandon due to crash in 2007, 2008 I expired half way up the Alpe - lack of fitness, and last year my chain snapped on the Glandon - a bit of a p*sser as I was probably fitter than this year).

In contrast I just managed gold by 6 minutes in 9 09. No idea how as I crashed on the descent of the Glandon and from then on was in all sorts of trouble - particularly on the Alpe, and felt I was stuck to the road all day. I was so hot I really didn't whether I got gold or not TBH.

But the elation when I crossed the line at having got gold was immense.

And even at nearly 49 next year I know there's probably 1/2 plus to come off my time (I did the previous SUndays Vaujany senior - 100k/2,500m climbing in 4 37 - nearly 25kph - admittadly not the Marmotte but an indication of what I think I can do).

Like you say the key is power to weight ratio(and long,long rides). This year I was 10 stone - what I was when I last raced in 1991, and the lowest of my 4 attempts.

If the missus will allow try the 3 day Tour of Wessex next year. I did it this year and I would say it was the difference(along with weight loss) of me getting gold.

See you next year......

conzo said...

Hi Richard,

fantastic achievement and inspiring reading for someone about to attempt the same.

Looking at your stats has helped motivate me not just to get the work in but to try and be more methodical, consistent and professional in my approach.

One aspect of your prep i would love to know more about is diet and nutrition. I looked at how the red line on your 2009 graph dropped down at a steady rate from 217 to 170 over the 6 months or so - amazing!

How did you do it?
Wa the training in itself or were there any other steps you took?

Cheers,
Conor

Richard Allen said...

Conzo,

For me the weightloss only comes when I combine the trainng with a a decent low cal diet. 2lb per week loss equates to a 1000 kcal per day deficit. I aim to achieve this with 500 kcals from excersize and 500 from a reduced diet.

Normally eat porridge & banana breakfast (400kcal), sandwich, crisps, fruit, yoghurt (500kcal), decent evening meal (600kcals).

Throw in 6-10hrs training and the weight sorts itself out.

Find something that works for you and keep doing it. 'Methodical, consistent and professional approach is exactly what is required.

Best of luck,
Rich