12 July 2009

2: Bourg d’Oisans - Col du Glandon (35.7k)

The road surface is good, everyone is fresh and there are plenty of cyclists eager to push the pace. I jump on a wheel and go with it. We are moving along at a good speed and my heart rate is just ticking over.  This is the ideal start.  It doesn’t seem long before the first 30minutes is already done and I am already at the start of the climb to the Col du Glandon. The start of the climb is steady and I feel I am cycling well within myself. The gradient steepens, firstly to 7% then to 10%, however  my heart rate is still under control and whilst my speed has dropped a little I am still making good progress.

After 8k we pass through Le Rivier and the road starts descending, dropping 100metres over the course of a kilometre, the respite is welcome, but with it comes the frustration of the hard earned gains in altitude that are being forfeited. The road winds up the left hand side of a long deep valley, it steepens and switches back a couple of times as it climbs the up the side of the dam. By now I’ve settled into the ride and found a good rhythm, the top of the climb can be seen in the distance and I have it in my sights.

Soon there’s just one switchback to get up and I’ve reached the top.  I hit lap – 2h01 – I’m two minutes behind schedule, but I’ve ridden within myself. This is the first feed station and it’s crowded.  I spot a gap on the right and pull over. I lay my bike on the ground, grab a large bottle of water and refill my bidons, adding my energy powder.  A quick swig of the remainder and it’s time to go. I pull up the zip on my gilet, clip in and I’m off.  Exiting the feed I hit lap again – 2h04 – a quick stop, now just one minute down.



You Tube Link

No comments: