12 July 2009

3: Glandon – Col du Telegraphe (58.2k)

The descent of the Glandon starts with short straight to build up some speed and then a series of tight switchbacks.  There are still lots of riders around and choosing the right line is made more tricky by other riders opting for the same.  I’m on a schedule, I need to push on...

Nearing the bottom of the Glandon I start looking for a group.  The chase along the valley floor from to the base of the Telegraphe has the potential to be a hard slog (as I found out last year). As we reach Cuines and the bottom of the descent there is a group forming ahead, I forge on, but as soon as I make it on the back, it is split by an incline and I am still in the slower rear portion.  Stay or go?  I decide to chase, increasing my effort, and I see my heart rate start to rise towards its red zone, fortunately they had not got themselves organised and up to speed and I manage to catch them before the turn onto the main valley road.  I’d had to work more that I would have wanted but was now tucked in at the back of a decent group ‘pulling’ me the 15k to the foot of the next climb. We reach Maurienne, turn right, cross under the dual carriageway and the climb is upon us. I hit lap – 3h16 – I have fallen off the pace, I am now 5 minutes down on schedule.

The Telegraphe is a very consistent climb, 11.7 kilometres long, the gradient never strays much from its average winding up through the trees, turn after turn, at between 6%-8%.  I am still feeling pretty strong, and the consistent incline allows me to keep a nice rhythm.  I’ve done 4k and am still motoring along.  It’s still only about 11am but the day is starting to really heat up.  The forecast was for 30deg and it feels like it has already reached that.  I’ve almost another hour until my next stop so have to conserve my bidon a little. Another 4k done, less than 4k to the top.  My heart rate is still well under control, my pace is where I’d hoped and my HR is holding at around 150bpm. A couple more turns and I reach the summit, there’s a water station, but it is not far to Valloire and decide to stick with the plan to push on. I hit lap – 4h16 – the climb's been good to me, I have made up three minutes and I am now just two minutes down on schedule.



You Tube Link: Glandon Descent

No comments: