8 July 2009

6: So then...

Reflection

Relief.  Last year I fell a kilometre short.  Passing the fateful point of a year ago was uplifting and the relief of seeing and then crossing the finish line was immense.

Proud. I am incredibly proud that I have come back and completed the task that I started. I had a really good ride and to go from an almost 10:30 to sub-9 is good improvement.

Disappointment. I had targeted a gold and missed out by 5 minutes. Despite the feeling I gave it everything, it is difficult not to think I could have made up 5 mins and that I let Gold just get away.

Achievement. On top of all the time that it takes, the six months training requires a heavy investment of physical and emotional energy.  However the mental/emotional reward at end is considerable.

What next

Rest. Six months of training has taken its toll. I am looking forward to a few weeks of having some time for me and for my family.

Refresh. Not leaving the house at 6am to get to a spin class or going to the gym after work most nights should refresh me mentally and mean that when I gradually start to get back into it again – in August – I have the required enthusiasm to continue to improve.

Start again. I can already see myself back here next year.  I enjoy cycling and relish a challenge.  And my psyche is such that I thrive best when working towards a demanding goal. I can do better.

Approach

Greater endurance. I need to get in more longer training rides/sportives. I felt good on Glandon & Telegraph, suffered on the lower slopes of the Galibier and then suffered the whole way up Alpe d’Huez. Having done just two rides over 5hrs this year I think in the latter stages of the event the cumulative effort really took its toll on my pace.

Greater power. Up until know I have taken an unscientific approach to training. This year I have learnt about power and what it offers for monitoring training load and quantifying improvement.  I have a baseline from my recent FTP test and would want to make some good gains in FTP.

Less weight. I have enjoyed the benefits of being lighter and leaner and am keen to re-calibrate my ‘winter weight’ to sub 13st, rather than putting it all back on like I have in the last 2 years.  I would like to stay lean and race even leaner. Power to weight ratio is key on these types of climb and losing another couple of kilos will help enormously.

Harder training. Starting the year in better shape, in terms of both weight and base fitness, will allow me to train harder & smarter from the off rather than having to focus on weight loss.

Targets

Weight. Stay below 13 stone over the winter.  Take remedial action if I go above 13. Get to 75kg for next year’s event (11st 11lbs).

Power. My recent FTP test worked out at 260w (although I am not sure that this was really representative and would guess it is closer to 285w), and I would like to start by getting my FTP above 300w and then aim to make some good gains towards 315-330w.

The combined effect of this would be huge. A power-to-weight of >4w/kg would be a real plus.  Moving from, say, 3.5ish (285w/77kg) towards 4.2-4.4 (315w-330w/75kg) would have me climbing much better (and faster).

Gold. If I am back here in a year I want a Gold medal round my neck – and with a sufficient margin that doesn’t require a sprint finish  –  So sub 8h30. My stretch goal should be to go sub-8. If the above was in place I can see no reason why not.  And 7hrs something has a certain ring about it.

See you next year...

6 comments:

Martin said...

Fantastic well done. Its been great reading your training over the last year and you've done amazingly well.
You're correct in that you probably need to start training with power to make further improvements although your blog won't be as interesting when you start filling it with graphs and charts and become obsessed with numbers.
What's made it so interesting is that most of us can relate to your training at present but at the end of the day power is the way to train.
Anyway well done and look forward to reading next years training.
Martin

Unknown said...

Richard - many congratulations and this has been a riveting read. I've followed your story for six months being just like you - living right by Richmiond Park, 15st winter weight and a Marmotte entry. I envied your weight loss but could only get down to 83kgs.

I think you are right to target power, not (much) more weight loss. I have trained exclusively with power since December and upped my power from 300 to the 320 ish mark, while going from 95 to 83kgs, on under 4h a week except for the month before the Marmotte with three 100 mile sportives. I did 8h8min, good for gold.

A Powertap is the best coach going, and pacing the Glandon and Telegraph made the Alpe a joy.

Good luck for next year. And keep off the pies!

ShirishK said...

Congratulations Richard, it's been great following your blog, and I love a happy ending!

I think you showed immense strength of will to go back after such a heartbreaking experience last year, and it's fantastic that you got the reward you deserved.

Thanks for the inspiration, and looking forward to following your exploits next year.

Shirish

Unknown said...

I add a big Chapeau to the existing comments. Like the others I have followed your blog for several months finding it v. entertaining and a nice way to get "into character" for my own Marmotte effort, albeit with an approach was far less dedicated than yours. Being roughly the same age, similar family situation, similar weight, etc (though not having the winter fluctuations you have to deal with) it was refreshing to read a down to earth account on one man's preparation that's easy to relate to...
To an extent, I reckon that everyone is limited by their own personal morphology (at least that's what I tell myself :-) but I have no doubt that with your determination you'll get that gold medal. Regardless of whether to decide to torture myself on the same circuit in 2010 I'll be following your adventure.
Paul

Steve Fowkes said...

Hi Rich,
I'm sure you'll get gold next year !

What I also didn't mention in my first comment(after the Glandon post) is that I didn't stop for any food this year - only water - which saved me precious minutes( did snatch a banana at the top of the Galib I seem to remember - but very quick). tehn it was back on the bike asap.

I had 3 peiece of fruit cake(actually nice moist Sommerfield Genoa cake) in my back pockets along with a couple of bananas which were all gone by Valloire. After that it was the gels in the freebie tri bag on the top tube.

I'll be following this feed regime next year - if I'm stupid eneough to do it a 5th time.

But it's a great event, the vibe during the week around Bourg is simply superb. Plus, being around like minded people(mostly mad dutchmen!) on the campsite it's great cammeraderie.

And after countless trips to Bourg and the Alpe to watch the Tour and support me in the Marmotte my misses now loves the area - but I suspect only for the French coffee patisseries !(er just like moi !)

Steve Fowkes said...

Split times here

http://www.la-marmotte.org/index.php