23 February 2009

Update: 19 Weeks...

Weight: 14-3.8. (Target 14-7.3). BMI: 28.5. Body Fat: 30.1%.
Wk 20 Training: Hours: 9:06 (Target 8:30). Bike: 127.5k.

Weight...  Struggled with my weight all week.  Whilst I know that the only weigh-in of merit is the one done on Monday morning, I struggle not to jump on the scales everyday just to ‘keep an eye’ on my progress.  All this week despite not changing my diet or training regime the number was refusing to drop.  Fortunately, two solid days at the weekend (1:40 & 3:40) have done the trick.  2lbs down for the week and a world record* 8th consecutive week of weight loss (* by me, this millennia). What the week did do, was get me to question whether I had started to lose focus on the healthy (& low cal) eating side of things; I have pledged to keep a close eye on this over the next fortnight to ensure I remain on track.  With that in mind please see “Lent…” (below).

Training... Enjoyable (and I even exceeded my target).  Targeted spin classes (x3) for my gym sessions. Have found over the last few weeks that they hold 3 main benefits over hitting the machines... (i) I work harder my HR averages 10-20 beats higher in spin classes; (ii) I enjoy them more than the machines; and (iii) It is bike specific so should have some added benefits over cross-training, etc.  At the weekend, I enjoyed some leisurely laps of the park on Saturday, and then a long blast to Box Hill and back on Sunday - made for a great ride and the longest of the year to date (3hrs40, 91km).

Lent… Is almost here.  And what does that mean?  Yes, pancakes.
Errr, no, sorry, that’s not what I meant.  Lent… A time of penitence, self-denial and fasting.  So, thought I would use this as a little extra motivation to help my regime.  But, the I can’t think of anything suitable to deny myself that will fulfill both sufficient denial with some worthwhile benefits to either my weight or fitness.  Only thought so far are Alcohol – but given that I rarely drink I am not convinced the benefits outweigh the (social) costs - or fizzy drinks.  So please help me think of suitable penitence - all suggestions welcome.

4 comments:

Mark Liversedge said...

how goes it Rich?

Unknown said...

Hello Richard,
Have enjoyed your blog on L'Etape 07 and since I'll be giving the Marmotte a (first) go this year I'll be following your progress and hopefully deriving some motivation from your own determined and admirable approach to training. Your story of the 08 Marmotte is almost too cruel to be true but I reckon that finishing L'Etape 07 and getting within 1km of Marmotte 08 means you'll have the last laugh atop L'Alpe D'Huez this year. Good luck!

Em and Gav said...

where does your box hill time trial start and end? is it from the first right hand turn off the main road up to the cafe? or something else?

also do you just do box hill or a longer ride before that?

just curious how to benchmark myself for training going forward!
cheers

Richard Allen said...

Mark,
I'm well but been very busy - so much so that I missed my usual weekly update. Will post it shortly.

Paul,
Glad you are enjoying my my blogging, but more importantly that it is assisting wuth motivation. That's what it's there for - to motivate me and anyone else out there with a similar goal. Best of luck with your training.

Em & Gav,
I start my box hill TT from the white lines marking the entrance to zig zag road, and finish at the speed hump by the carpark entrance (http://tinyurl.com/cn5pt4). I tend to incorporate box hill into a ride as it is 40k from where I live (Putney). I reckon that my time/HR up BH is a pretty good gaude to how my fitness is coming along. Quite a few on BikeRadar will be joining in logging their seasons best: www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12609993